After studying art history in Göttingen, Berlin, Vienna and Graz, Gert Adriani wrote his doctoral thesis in 1933 in Jena on monastery libraries in Austria and south Germany.
The Academy of Fine Arts was founded on the private initiative of the imperial court painter Peter Strudel (1660–1714) and was officially approved by the imperial household in 1692.
On 4 July 1776, American Independence Day, the imperial envoy Giacomo Durazzo in Venice gave Duke Albert von Sachsen-Teschen (1738–1822) and his wife Marie Christine (1742–1798) a collection of engravings he had commissioned two years earlier.
Ambras Castle, consisting of the upper castle with the Spanish Hall and the lower castle, looks down on the village of Amras in the municipality of Innsbruck. Archduke Ferdinand II of Austria (1529–1595), from 1564 Count of Tyrol, lived in Innsbruck.
The Augustinerkeller in the centre of Vienna was used as a depot to house the art collection belonging to Count Karl Lanckoronski (1848–1939), which had been seized in autumn 1939 from his son Anton in accordance with the Regulation on Management of the Assets of Members of the
Ludwig Baldass studied art history at the universities of Graz, Halle, Munich and Vienna and was awarded a doctorate from the University of Vienna in 1911.
After several years of professional experience in wage accounting, Josefine Berger was employed in early 1939 in the administration office of the
The Bodenkreditanstalt building was erected from 1884 to 1887 according to plans by Emil von Förster on behalf of the Allgemeine k. k. private Boden-Credit Anstalt. Because of its size, it had two addresses – Teinfaltstraße 8 and Löwelstraße 20.
The numismatist Fritz Dworschak took advantage of the Nazi era to assume central functions in the Vienna museum scene.
After studying law at the University of Vienna, Karl Ecker had theatre training at the k. k.
Friedberg Castle, perched on a rise overlooking the Inn valley, was built in the thirteenth century. In 1844 it was acquired by Count Trapp, who renovated it from 1847 to 1854. The castle is owned today by the family.
Fügen Castle, transformed in the eighteenth century by the aristocratic Tyrolean Fieger family into a Baroque castle, was owned from 1926 under the name Bubenburg by the Seraphisches Liebeswerk, which used it as a boys'
On 13 September 1939 Department III of the Reichsstatthalterei in Vienna, which was responsible for the arts, allocated the former charterhouse in Gaming to the Ministry of Internal and Cultural Affairs, Department IV (Education, Culture and Popular Education) for salvaging purposes.
Elisabeth Maria Gasselseder was born in Vienna on 13 November 1903 as the daughter of the assistant notary Ferdinand Laurenz Gasselseder and his wife Gabriele Ida Olga, née Szendrödy.
The beginnings of the present-day Wien Museum date back to the 1860s, when the city council established a commission for municipal collections responsible for the acquisition and financing of objects for a future city museum.
Following the Munich Agreement of 29 September 1938, German troops invaded the Sudetenland, until then part of Czechoslovakia, on 2 October 1938.
After leaving school in 1920, Eduard Holzmair worked for several years at the Anglo-Austrian Bank in Vienna, before studying German, history and art history at the University of Vienna.
Immendorf Castle in the northern Weinviertel, mentioned for the first time in records in the thirteenth century, was originally a two-storey complex around a rectangular courtyard with square towers. It was restored and modified in the late nineteenth century.
The Joanneum was founded in 1811 by Archduke Johann together with the Styrian estates as the "Innerösterreichisches Nationalmuseum" ("Inner Austrian National Museum").
Heinrich Klapsia studied art history, history and archaeology at the University of Vienna.
Anton Lanckoroński graduated from the Schottengymnasium in Vienna and then served from 1912 to 1917 as an officer in the Austro-Hungarian army. After the war and the re-establishment of the Polish state in 1918, he took Polish citizenship.
Lichtenwerth was built in the twelfth century on a rock in the middle of the Inn. It is the only authentic water tower in Tyrol. Since 1879 it has belonged to the Freiherr Inama-Sternberg from South Tyrol.
Victor Luithlen, son of an official in the Ministry of Trade and Transport, obtained a doctorate in music at the University of Vienna in 1927 with a work on Johannes Brahms.
Schloss Matzen was mentioned for the first time in 1278 and is one of the oldest surviving castles in Tyrol.
Karl Prochaska was the son of the Viennese post office official from Moravia of the same name and Marie Prochaska, née Ortner, from Bavaria. In 1917 he left school to serve in the army in Albania. After the First World War he returned as a war invalid to Vienna.
Margarethe Poch-Kalous studied art history at the University of Vienna and obtained her doctorate in 1940 under Hans Sedlmayr.
The parsonage on the outskirts of Pulkau was originally built in the sixteenth/seventeenth century and was converted after a fire in 1709 into an imposing two-storey building with Baroque façade.
Schloss Purgstall was owned after 1933 by the Prague bank director Florian Klement.
The Schönwörth residence with its vaulted and dry rooms was chosen for storage of art objects in April 1943.
Franz Sochor was born in 1902 and worked from 1919 as a bank clerk in the Niederösterreichische Escompte-Gesellschaft in Vienna. At the same time, he took various painting courses in his free time, for example with the academy painter H.
Sonnberg Castle, mentioned in records for the first time in the twelfth century, was rebuilt in 1596 in the Renaissance style as a three-storey building with a gate tower and rectangular courtyard.
The sixteenth-century monastery St. Martin has been owned since 1825 by the province of Tyrol, which operated a workhouse and, from 1855 to 1928, a women's prison and correctional home.
The Cistercian abbey at Stams in Tiroler Oberland was founded in 1273 by Count Meinhard II of Görz-Tirol and his wife Elisabeth of Bavaria as a place of burial for Tyrolean rulers. The baroque and rococo interior dates from 1650 and 1750.
Until the annexation of Austria to the German Reich, Steinbach bei Göstling hunting lodge and some other properties in the region were owned by Louis Rothschild.
Thalheim bei Kapelln castle in Lower Austria was first mentioned in the twelfth century. After numerous changes of ownership, it was acquired in 1881 by the president of the Anglobank Guido Elbogen (1845–1918), son of the Jungbunzlau rabbi Isak Elbogen (?–1883).
After Emma and Antonia Bunzel ceded title to Thürnthal Castle near Fels am Wagram to the German Reich at the end of June 1943 under the 11th Regulation to the Reich Citizenship Law, the Oberfinanzpräsident for Vienna and Lower Danub
Schloss Tratzberg was built by Meinhard II of Görz-Tirol in the thirteenth century on a hillside between Stans and Jenbach and has been owned since the mid-nineteenth century by Count Enzenberg.
Gertrude Tripp, née Weigner, studied art history, auxiliary sciences of history and archaeology in Vienna and obtained her doctorate in 1939 with a work on Mediterranean glass painting in Austria.
Schloss Wohlgemutsheim in Baumkirchen im Inntal originated as a thirteenth-century keep. In 1474 it was transformed into a castle, and the Holy Trinity chapel was added in 1517.