Schloss Tratzberg was built by Meinhard II of Görz-Tirol in the thirteenth century on a hillside between Stans and Jenbach and has been owned since the mid-nineteenth century by Count Enzenberg. Sighard Enzenberg, successor of the museum patron and honorary member of the museum association Count Artur of Enzenberg, donated the important Enzenberg coin collection to the Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum in 1933. He devoted much of his life to studying the castle and published the results in an extensive monograph in 1958. In autumn 1943 it was agreed that the Ferdinandeum weapons collection should be stored at Schloss Tratzberg, along with the large Peter Anich globes, the Numismatic Collection and the remainder of the Patriotic Collection, as well as books from Innsbruck university library and items from Emperor Maximilian's tomb in the Innsbruck Hofkirche. The second floor of the castle was hit by a phosphorus bomb shortly before the end of the war, but the stored items were unharmed. The objects were returned by the end of 1945.
Sighard Enzenberg, Schloss Tratzberg. Ein Beitrag zur Kulturgeschichte Tirols, Innsbruck 1958.
Julia Hörmann-Thurn und Taxis (Hg.), Tiroler Burgenbuch XI – Nordtirol Unterland, Bozen 2019.
Oswald Trapp, Die Kunstdenkmäler Tirols in Not und Gefahr. Bericht des Landeskonservators über die Geschehnisse in den Jahren 1938–1945, Innsbruck-Wien 1947.
Veröffentlichungen des Vereins Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum.
Archiv Tiroler Landesmuseum Ferdinandeum, Hausakten; Verhandlungsschriften der Ausschusssitzungen des Tiroler Landesmuseums Ferdinandeum.