Immendorf Castle in the northern Weinviertel, mentioned for the first time in records in the thirteenth century, was originally a two-storey complex around a rectangular courtyard with square towers. It was restored and modified in the late nineteenth century. In 1942 Rudolf Freudenthal, the owner of the castle at the time, made rooms available to the Reichsstatthalter in Vienna for salvage. That same year, some of the Lanckoronski collection was stored there before being moved to Thürnthal Castle in 1943. From March 1943, paintings, statues and applied art objects from the Lederer collection and the Österreichische Galerie, including the Faculty pictures and other paintings by Gustav Klimt, were transported to Immendorf. In November and December 1943 the Staatliches Kunstgewerbemuseum in Wien (State Arts and Crafts Museum in Vienna, now the MAK) stored the Laxenburg Room, various East Asian and Islamic objects, early modern handicrafts, over fifty pieces of furniture, leather wallpaper, twelve carpets and the Möchlinger Grab, a fifteenth-century wooden shrine carved in the form of a Gothic church. Privately owned objects were also stored here. In late March 1945, as the Red Army was approaching Vienna, Richard Ernst, director of the Arts and Crafts Museum, tried unsuccessfully to transport forty crates and three leather wallpaper items back to Vienna. In the second half of April 1945, the front approached Immendorf. In early May German units were stationed in the castle, moving off around lunchtime on 8 May 1945. A few hours later the Red Army arrived in Immendorf with a large number of trucks and began to occupy the castle and annexes. A fire broke out around 6 p.m. in the southwest tower and quickly spread. The Soviet troops escaped from the burning building. In the morning of 9 May 1945, the first day after the end of the Second World War in Europe, the fire appeared to have been extinguished. The second floor of the castle caught fire in the early morning of 10 May, however, and the fire spread to the rooms on the first floor and parterre. By the following day, the entire building had been burned to the ground. Only the walls remained with just a high pile of rubble in the interior. Attempts to put out the fire and rescue the art objects had been in vain. Only two carpets from the Arts and Crafts Museum were salvaged. All of the other stored objects burned. In the 1950s, most of the castle ruins were demolished.
Many reports of the fire suggest that the depot was deliberately destroyed by German troops, probably SS units, to prevent the objects stored there falling into the hands of the Red Army. This supposition cannot be definitively confirmed, however. There are no indications that Soviet troops started the fire. There is also the suspicion that not all of the artworks were destroyed but that some objects were rescued before or during the fire. No single object from the list of items stored in Immendorf has turned up until now.