After graduating from the Bundeslehranstalt für Frauengewerbe (Federal Teaching Institute for Women's Crafts) in Vienna and working for some years from home, th
The artist and restorer Marianne Adler was the daughter of the journalist Heinrich Adler and the illustrator Maria Adler and the niece of the prominent Austrian Social Democrat Victor Adler.
After studying art history in Göttingen, Berlin, Vienna and Graz, Gert Adriani wrote his doctoral thesis in 1933 in Jena on monastery libraries in Austria and south Germany.
Ludwig Baldass studied art history at the universities of Graz, Halle, Munich and Vienna and was awarded a doctorate from the University of Vienna in 1911.
Franz Balke, who studied art history at the universities of Tübingen, Berlin and Bonn, worked for ten years after the First World War as a teacher and educator and had his own community home in Cammin/Pomerania.
After several years of professional experience in wage accounting, Josefine Berger was employed in early 1939 in the administration office of the
Leo Bokh studied art history, archaeology, history, German and musicology in Vienna and Graz. While still a student he joined the Cartellverband.
Helene Buchwieser, daughter of the architect and master builder Bruno Buchwieser, studied architecture at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna from 1932.
After initially studying philosophy and law in Vienna, Ernst Buschbeck switched to art history in Berlin, Halle and Vienna and completed his education at the Institut für Österreichische Geschichtsforschung (
From 1926 Bernhard Degenhart studied art history in Munich, Vienna and Berlin. He wrote his thesis on Lorenzo di Credi at the University of Munich at first with August Liebmann Mayer.
The numismatist Fritz Dworschak took advantage of the Nazi era to assume central functions in the Vienna museum scene.
After studying law at the University of Vienna, Karl Ecker had theatre training at the k. k.
Johann Nikolaus Richard Ernst, son of a businessman, went to school and university in Prague and obtained a doctorate in art history and classical archaeology in 1909.
After Benno Fleischmann had completed his study of art history, archaeology, philosophy and the auxiliary science of history at the University of Vienna in 1930 with a thesis on Giovanni Bellini, he worked initially as a
Karl Garzarolli-Thurnlackh studied art history and history in Vienna and Graz, receiving his doctoral degree from the University of Graz in 1920.
Joseph Gregor grew up in Czernowitz as the son of the city architect Josef Gregor. He came to Vienna in 1907 to study art history, German and music.
After attending the k. k.
Arthur Haberlandt studied anthropology, ethnology and prehistory at the University of Vienna, obtained his doctorate in 1911 and habilitated in 1914 with a paper on the drinking water supply of primitive peoples.
Lothar Kitschelt, son of the factory manager August Eduard Kitschelt and Olga Anna Maria Kitschelt, née Freiin von Hartlich-Wallthor, started studying law but switched in the winter semester 1932/33 to art history, archa
Heinrich Klapsia studied art history, history and archaeology at the University of Vienna.
The Viennese art historian Ernst Kris worked as researcher from 1927 to 1938 in the Collection of Sculpture, Arts and Crafts
After completing secondary school in Vienna-Ottakring, Othmar Kühn worked in the brewery in Hallein, returned to Vienna in 1914 and enrolled to study natural sciences, specializing in botany, at the University of Vienna.
In 1929/30, Richardis Wustl taught sport, drawing, German and craft in England. She finished school in Klosterneuburg in 1931 and then studied history and art history at the University of Vienna.
Alphons Lhotsky studied history, art history, geography and philosophy and was a member of the Institut für Österreichische Geschichtsforschung (Institute of Austrian Historical Research).
Victor Luithlen, son of an official in the Ministry of Trade and Transport, obtained a doctorate in music at the University of Vienna in 1927 with a work on Johannes Brahms.
Rudolf Noll studied classical archaeology and philosophy at the University of Vienna and submitted a dissertation in December 1929 on the beginnings of caricature in Greek vase paintings.
After studying law, archaeology and art history at the University of Innsbruck, Vinzenz Oberhammer habilitated in 1936 in art history.
Karl Prochaska was the son of the Viennese post office official from Moravia of the same name and Marie Prochaska, née Ortner, from Bavaria. In 1917 he left school to serve in the army in Albania. After the First World War he returned as a war invalid to Vienna.
Mathilde Pfannl was employed from 1929 to 1939 by the Kleinkaufmannschaft Wien fund and from April 1939 in the commerce department of the Wirtschaftskammer Wien (Vienna Economic Chamber).
Christine Raab worked as a civil servant from 1909, initially as a chancellery clerk in the Central Statistics Commission and later in the Ministry of Culture and Education.
From 1939 to April 1945 Erhard Riedel was head of the Vienna department of the Reichspostmuseum (Reich Postal Museum).
Leopold Ruprecht was born in 1889 in Laxenburg near Vienna as the son of the architect Ludwig Ruprecht and Viktorine, née Halm.
Viktor Schützenhofer studied mechanical engineering at the Technische Hochschule in Vienna. He joined the k. k.
Emma Pietschmann attended the six-year Lyzeum of the Vienna Frauenerwerbsverein founded in 1866. She graduated from high school at the Humanistisches Gymnasium in Prague, but not until 1914.
Heinrich Schwarz was the second child of the industrialist Alois Louis Schwarz and his wife Johanna, née Posamentier. Shortly after his birth, his parents, who had converted to Catholicism, moved from Prague to Vienna.
Franz Sochor was born in 1902 and worked from 1919 as a bank clerk in the Niederösterreichische Escompte-Gesellschaft in Vienna. At the same time, he took various painting courses in his free time, for example with the academy painter H.
After completing secondary school in Vienna's 6th district, Friedrich Trauth studied Greek and Latin and then geology and palaeontology, took further natural science courses and obtained his doctorate in 1908 sub auspiciis imperatoris.
Karl Wagner studied philosophy and German at the University of Vienna, where he was awarded a doctorate in 1911.
Anselm Weißenhofer completed his Catholic theology studies in 1908 and became a priest.
The hairdresser Walter Wellek was enlisted in the Reich Labour Service from February to June 1940 before beginning training in September that year at the Graphische Lehr- und Versuchsanstalt für Photographie in Vienna, which he completed in June 1943.