During the Weimar Republic, the defence lawyer and legal scholar Max Alsberg, who moved to Berlin in 1906, had an office at Nollendorfplatz 1 together with Kurt Peschke, Kurt Gollnick and Lothar Welt.
Bernhard Altmann came from an orthodox Jewish family in Galicia. His maternal grandparents had a knitwear factory in Przemyśl, where he was born, managed by his mother Keile (later Karoline) Tischler before she married.
Irma Löwenstein, née Sametz, lived with her husband Oscar (also Oskar) Löwenstein, founder of the Neues Wiener Journal at Landstraßer Hauptstraße 88 in Vienna's 3rd district.
The entrepreneur Alexander Beer from Moravia lived from 1911 with his wife Adelheid née Gyurits (1867–1955) in Baden near Vienna. Over the years, he put together an extensive art collection focusing on nineteenth-century Austrian art.
Gustav Benda was born in 1846, the second of four children of Samuel and Julie Benda, in Prague, where his parents managed the Wiener leather goods company.
After studying law at the University of Vienna, Josef Blauhorn joined the Prager Eisenindustrie-Gesellschaft, before becoming sole Prokurist in 1916 of the Vienna bank Gebrüder Gutmann, where he worked until escaping from Austria in 1939.
Ferdinand Bloch was the youngest of six children of the sugar factory owner and banker David Bloch and his wife Marie, née Straschnow. He attended the Handelsakademie in Prague and joined the family business in 1881.
In 1913, Betty Blum married the entrepreneur Noe Blum from Poland, who had a business in Munich dealing in antiques, oil paintings, old and new furniture, gold and silverware.
In 1919, the Vienna gallery owner and art collector Lea Bondi became Prokurist (authorized signatory) of Kunsthandlung Würthle & Sohn Nachf. at Weihburggasse 9 in Vienna's 1st district.
Caroline Reitlinger studied medicine at the University of Vienna for seven semesters from 1916. In July 1919 she married Edwin Czeczowiczka, an engineer and co-owner of the Erste galizische mechanische Baumwollweberei in Andrychów, Poland.
After the death of his father Adolf Duschnitz in 1909, Willibald Duschnitz, who married Jenka, née Löff, in 1907, inherited his painting collection, a villa in the Cottageviertel in Vienna's 19th district, and the Erste Österreichisch-Ungarische Filzfabrik in Achau south of Vien
Hermann Eissler studied geology at the University of Vienna, writing his doctoral thesis in 1883 on the geological structure of the Rax Alps. Afterwards, he joined the family timber business J. Eissler & Brüder and became a partner in 1897.
Anton Exner was the most important dealer, collector and assessor of East Asian art in Vienna between the wars. His collection included all branches of Asian – particularly Chinese and Japanese – art from all epochs.
The Brno lawyer Arthur Feldmann started collecting art in the early 1920s.
Adella Taubmann arrived in Vienna in the 1920s, where she married the businessman Max Feuer in 1927, divorcing him in 1934.
Erich Fiala was born in Purkersdorf, studied in Vienna and obtained a doctorate in political science in June 1935.
After his marriage to Clara Dresel (1878–1947), Julius Freund became co-proprietor in 1902 of his father-in-law's ladies' wear company Wilhelm Dresel at Niederwallstraße 13 in Berlin.
Wilhelm Freund, who was persecuted as a Jew, left Vienna in 1938 to study law in Oxford. As the only son of bank director Richard Freund (1878–1934) and Gina Freund, née Rubel (1892–1935), he was the sole heir of his parents' art collection.
In 1938, Leo Fürst, who lived at Maria-Theresien-Straße 16/4 <
Frida Beck's first marriage was to Julius Ripper (1878–1916), with whom she had a daughter Edith.
Emil Goldmann was born in Swoikowitz, Moravia, in 1872 as the oldest of nine children of the tenant farmer Jakob Goldmann and his wife Amalie.
David Goldmann came from extremely modest circumstances to settle in Vienna in the early 1910s, from where he worked his way up to become director of Ujpester Tuchfabriks AG in Budapest, Wollwarenverkaufs AG in Günzelsdorf and Stoffdruckfabrik in Guntramsdorf.
After attending the k. k.
After graduating from high school at the German k. k. Gymnasium in Brno in 1899, Franz Friedrich Grünbaum came to Vienna to study law. He took only one of the three state examinations, however, and embarked instead on a career as an actor, librettist and cabaret artist.
Moriz Grünebaum was the son of Gustav Grünebaum, k. k. Hofrat and head of the Bauabteilung der Staatsbahnen (building department of the state railways), who was made a hereditary peer in 1876.
Wolfgang Gurlitt was born on 15 February 1888 as the son of the art dealer Fritz Gurlitt (1853–1893) and his wife Anarella, née Im-Hof (1858–1935).
The industrialist and banker Rudolf Gutmann, partner in Gebrüder Gutmann and Bankhaus Gebrüder Gutmann, owned an extensive art and book collection. He started collecting in 1906.
Marianne Hamburger-Löw was born in 1901 as the daughter of Wilhelm Löw and Franziska née Bauer. Her father owned several properties in Lower Austria, as well as a distillery. Her parents also possessed several prestigious art objects.
After completing his training at the teaching college in Krems an der Donau and his study of art history with Josef Strzygowski at the University of Vienna, Karl Hareiter worked as an art teacher until 1939 and als
After the annexation of Austria to the Nazi German Reich, Lotte Heissfeld, daughter of the k. k.
Valerie Heissfeld, née Kulka, was the fifth of six children of Leopold Kulka (1838–1909) and Charlotte Kulka, née Scheuer (died 1892).
Carl Heumann lived from 1908 in Chemnitz, where he was a banker in Bankhaus Bayer und Heinze (from 1908 Prokurist, from 1920 co-owner of the private bank) and vice-consul of Portugal.
After graduating from the Staatsgymnasium in Znaim (Znojmo), Josef Hupka returned to Vienna to study law. In 1897, the year of his doctorate, he converted from Judaism to Protestantism.
Raoul Fernand Jellinek was the son of Emil Jellinek, a diplomat, businessman and consultant to the Daimler-Motorengesellschaft, and Rachel Carmen Jellinek, née Gogman-Azoulay.
Originally from Galicia, Saul Juer lived in Vienna from 1885 at the latest. He married Helene Kanner, with whom he would later have two daughters, on 24 March 1904.
Hubert Wilhelm Jung was born in Stuttgart in 1883 as the youngest of seven children. After attending secondary school in Ravensburg, he registered in 1904 in the Architecture Department of the University of Technology in Munich.
The future jurist and art collector Walther Kastner was born in Gmunden in 1902 and grew up and attended school in Linz.
Maximilian Kellner, a merchant born in Moravia, lived from 1932 with his wife Katharina, called Käthe (née Pollatschek, born 1884), at Praterstraße 17 in Vienna's 2nd district.
Julius Kien was born in Uherský Ostroh, Moravia, as the third of six children. His family is thought to have moved to Vienna before the turn of the century. He owned a commercial agency on today's Rooseveltplatz in Vienna.
Johann, known as Hans, Klinkhoff was the illegitimate child of Emma Kikinis and Max Singer, official supplier of horses to the court.
Hermann Emanuel Kolisch was the son of the banker Robert Kolisch and his wife Paula, née Löw. His father had a private art collection in the parental apartment at Porzellangasse 9 in Vienna's 9th district.
At the age of just sixteen, Luise Kremlacek started working in 1920 as a saleswoman at Galerie Würthle & Sohn Nachf.
Josef Kuderna worked in various professions – as a civil engineer, actor and professional gymnast with the Deutscher Turnerbund (German Gymnastics League) in Langenzersdorf.
Richard Kulka, son of the cloth mill owner Leopold Kulka and Charlotte, née Scheuer, spent his youth in the Austrian-Silesian town of Jägerndorf (now Krnov, Czech Republic), before leaving in 1881 to study in Vienna.
After his father's death in 1922, Hans Leinkauf took over Speditionsgeschäft Josef J. Leinkauf in Helferstorferstraße in Vienna's 1st district.
The painter Max Liebermann, born in Berlin in 1847 as the son of the wealthy industrialist Louis Liebermann and his wife Philippine, née Haller, was one of the most important representatives of German Impressionism.
Cäcilie Rosenthal married the lawyer Josef Lilienthal from Zurawno, Galicia, in Lemberg (now Lviv) in 1911. They had three children: Sylvia Lilith, Ricarda Antonia Eleonora and Karl René.
Max Mandl-Maldenau managed several branches of a weaving mill and leather wholesaler in Vienna and in Königinhof an der Elbe (now Dvůr Králové nad Labem, Czech Republic).
The engineer Hugo Marmorek, who from 1932 had a workshop for electrical appliances and technical articles at Brucknerstraße 4 in Vienna's 4th district, had married for a second time in 1926 to Felice Therese (née Monath), member of an art-loving family, and was registered with h
Karl Mayer was initially a partner in the company V. Mayer & Söhne founded by his grandfather and later an industrialist in Vienna. On 3 July 1890 he married Monika von Goldschmidt (1862–1908) and on 8 May 1891 their only son was born.
Little is known about the entrepreneur and art collector Robert Max Rudolf Mayer. He was born in 1873 to the silk trader Rudolf Julius Mayer and his wife Frau Louise Mayer, née Friedmann, in Vienna.
From June 1921, Chaim Salomon Meisels and his brother Mendel Meisels were proprietors of Spirituosenhandlung OHG Fa. Rosa Marmoreks Nachfolger – Brüder Meisels at Fugbachgasse 17 in Vienna's 2nd district.
After completing secondary school in Gera, Thuringia, Fritz Georg Meyer joined the Braunschweig Hussar Regiment No. 17 for a year in 1911 and then trained as an agent in the textile business in Germany, Great Britain, the Netherlands and the USA.
Josef Morgenstern worked from the 1920s as a commercial agent and Prokurist (authorized signatory) for banks and the pipe industry in Vienna and Amsterdam. At the same time he studied political science at the University of Vienna, obtaining his doctorate in 1928.
Richard Neumann came from a family of Austrian textile entrepreneurs.
Ludwig Neurath, chairman of the board of Creditanstalt für Handel und Gewerbe and a widower since 1907, had an impressive art collection consisting of paintings, miniatures, sculptures, porcelain, furniture and a library.
Adele Pächter was married to Hermann Pächter (1839–1902), who in the 1880s ran Kunsthandlung R. Wagner in Berlin.
The businessman Adalbert Bela Parlagi, registered in Vienna from 1913, married Hilda, née Hock, in December 1919. They had two children, Hedwig Elisabeth and Franz Richard. At first the family lived at Türkenstraße 25 in the 9th district.
Ernst Pollack was born in Vienna as the son of Friedrich Pollak and his wife Franziska, née Fischel.
Georg Popper graduated in mechanical engineering from the Technische Hochschule in Vienna in 1907. He worked afterwards as a patent lawyer and later as a partner in the company H. Palm, which traded on commission.
Adolf Proksch came from a conservative Catholic background. He studied law and until the First World War he worked for the Vienna Siemens-Schuckert-Werke and thereafter for the Ministry of War.
Oskar Reichel, a Jewish doctor living in Vienna, was a major art collector. He was inspired to start collecting by the works of the Austrian painter Anton Romako, which he says he saw for the first time around 1900.
Moriz Reichenfeld worked from 1880 to 1907 at Union-Bank, becoming its Prokurist (authorized signatory) in 1890. Through his relationship to Gisela (Ella) Naschauer, a sister-in-law of Theodor Herzl, he was in close contact with Zionist circles.
After obtaining his doctorate in law at the University of Vienna in 1906, Armin Reichmann worked as a journalist for the Österreichische Volkszeitung, Morgen and Berliner Börsen-Courier.
Carl Reininghaus was the oldest son of Julius Reininghaus and Emilie, née Mauthner Markhof. After his father's early death, his uncle Johann Peter Reininghaus bought his shares in Grazer Brauerei.
After his father's death in 1899, Heinrich Rothberger, who trained as a tailor and commercial manager, took over his textile company Jacob Rothberger and department store on Stephansplatz in Vienna together with his brothers Moritz and Alfred.
Louis Nathaniel von Rothschild was born in 1882, the third of seven children of Albert Salomon and Bettina Caroline von Rothschild. After completing his schooling at the Theresianum in Vienna, he trained as a bank clerk in Hamburg and New York.
Heinrich Schwarz was the second child of the industrialist Alois Louis Schwarz and his wife Johanna, née Posamentier. Shortly after his birth, his parentsmoved from Prague to Vienna.
René Schornstein/Sennhein was born the son of Richard and Yvonne Schornstein in Baden near Vienna in 1899. The Schornstein family converted in 1903/04 from Judaism to Roman Catholicism and changed their name in 1915 from Schornstein to Sennhein.
After leaving school, Josef Siller worked in his parents' restaurant, Meierei Siller, at Kaiser-Ferdinands-Platz (since 1919 Schwedenplatz) 3 in Vienna's 1st district, which he took over in 1898. He later opened a hotel there, which was soon became known as "Kleines Sacher".
Valentine Springer was born the sixth of seven children of the banker Albert Salomon Anselm von Rothschild and his wife Bettina Caroline. She was considered a passionate hunter, active sportswoman and enthusiastic amateur photographer.
Sigmund Stiassny was the only son of the Viennese architect Wilhelm Stiassny (1842–1910) and his wife Julia, née Taussig (1848–1916). In 1899 he married Laura Kohnberger and had two children with her, Elisabeth (1901–1986) and Walther Stiassny (1902–1912).
Alfons Thorsch was born on 21 May 1872 in Vienna as the only son of Markus David and Anna Thorsch, née Behrend (1844–1922).
Hermann Voss studied art history, music history and history in Heidelberg. Following his doctorate in 1906, he lived in Italy and in 1908 began an internship at the Königlich Preußische Kunstsammlungen zu Berlin with Wilhelm Bode.
The only daughter of Gustav Freiherr von Springer and his wife Helene, Marie von Springer was born in Paris in 1886. Her first husband was Eugène Fould, a grandson of the French finance minister Achille Fould.
Alfred Wolfgang von Wurzbach-Tannenberg started studying law at the University of Vienna but switched after the Second State Examination to Romance philology. He obtained his doctorate in 1902 at the University of Tübingen, and habilitated in 1907 at the University of Vienna.
The engineer Ernst Zix from Magdeburg joined the NSDAP in 1933. He was stationed in Vienna as a staff officer from 1938 to 1941 and as a lieutenant-colonel for a short time in 1943.
Paul von Zsolnay was born in Budapest in 1895 as the first son of the tobacco industrialist and Austrian consul general Adolf von Zsolnay (1866–1932) and his wife Klara Amanda, called Andy (1876–1956), née Wallerstein.