The Akademischer Verein jüdischer Mediziner in Wien (AVJM) (Academic Society of Jewish Medical Students in Vienna) was registered on 14 July 1911 by three students, Alfred Grünspan, Siegfried Berl and Josef Krenberger, w
During the Weimar Republic, the defence lawyer and legal scholar Max Alsberg, who moved to Berlin in 1906, had an office at Nollendorfplatz 1 together with Kurt Peschke, Kurt Gollnick and Lothar Welt.
Alfred Arnstein was born in Vienna on 26 June 1886 as the son of the lawyer Emanuel Arnstein and Regina Hahn. He married Hildegard Arnstein, née Baum, in 1920.
The Gesellschaft der Ärzte in Wien (GdÄW), founded by researchers in the Medical Faculty of the University of Vienna and doctors at the Allgemeines Krankenhaus (General Hospital) in Vienna in 1837, established itself in
Sassenbach library was named after Johannes Sassenbach (12 October 1866 – 19 November 1940), a German trade unionist, SPD politician and co-founder of the trade union publishing and library activities.
The insurance clerk and Prokurist Erich Bien obtained a doctorate in law from the University of Vienna in 1908. Because of his Jewish origins, he was dismissed from Kosmos Versicherungs AG in Vienna at the end of July 1938.
Maria Brunner, who joined the NSDAP in 1941, worked from January 1944 as an assistant for the "Sonderauftrag coins".
After studying law at the University of Vienna, Karl Ecker had theatre training at the k. k.
Otto von Fürth was the son of Josef Ritter von Fürth (1822–1892), a factory owner and member of the Reichsrat and the Bohemian Landtag, and Wilhelmine (1832–1904), née Forchheimer.
Karl Garzarolli-Thurnlackh studied art history and history in Vienna and Graz, receiving his doctoral degree from the University of Graz in 1920.
Joseph Gregor grew up in Czernowitz as the son of the city architect Josef Gregor. He came to Vienna in 1907 to study art history, German and music.
Moriz Grünebaum was the son of Gustav Grünebaum, k. k. Hofrat and head of the Bauabteilung der Staatsbahnen (building department of the state railways), who was made a hereditary peer in 1876.
Arthur Haberlandt studied anthropology, ethnology and prehistory at the University of Vienna, obtained his doctorate in 1911 and habilitated in 1914 with a paper on the drinking water supply of primitive peoples.
While still a student of German, history and geography at the University of Vienna, Franz Hadamowsky showed an interest in the theatre.
Paul Heigl studied history and geography in Graz and Munich and was awarded his doctorate in 1910 from the University of Graz.
The Munich lawyer Heinrich Heim, who had known Adolf Hitler since 1920, was appointed to the Brown House in 1933 by Rudolf Hess, where he dealt with legislative questions, until he was transferred to the "Führer's
Hugo Theodor Horwitz lived in Berlin and Vienna and was the author of articles about the history of culture and technology.
Adolf Irtl studied medicine and after being awarded a doctorate in medicine and surgery in 1892 opened a medical practice at Alser Straße 16 in Vienna's 9th district.
Raoul Fernand Jellinek was the son of Emil Jellinek, a diplomat, businessman and consultant to the Daimler-Motorengesellschaft, and Rachel Carmen Jellinek, née Gogman-Azoulay.
Anton Kraus, son of a merchant, was employed as a trainee in an accounting department of the Imperial and Royal Ministry of Finance between 1912 and 1914 after graduating from a secondary school in St. Pölten.
Fritz Lejeune studied medicine, dentistry and comparative linguistics at the universities of Bonn and Greifswald.
The psychiatrist and medical historian Max Neuburger was head of the Institute of the History of Medicine in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Vienna from 1914 to 1938.
Karl Prochaska was the son of the Viennese post office official from Moravia of the same name and Marie Prochaska, née Ortner, from Bavaria. In 1917 he left school to serve in the army in Albania. After the First World War he returned as a war invalid to Vienna.
The year 1368 and the completion of the Johannes von Troppau Evangeliary marked the starting point of the Habsburg book collections. The magnificent manuscript is regarded as the founding stone of the Austrian National Library.
Modelled on the South Kensington Museum in London, now the Victoria & Albert Museum, the Imperial Royal Austrian Museum of Art and Industry was founded in 1863.
Otto Reich studied history and the history of art at the University of Vienna, obtaining his doctorate in 1903 with a thesis entitled "The relationship of Frederick the Fair of Austria with Italy and Curia".
Valentin Viktor Rosenfeld studied law at the University of Vienna and obtained his doctorate in 1910. As a lawyer he represented footballers in contract disputes with their clubs.
The Vienna-born art historian Fritz Saxl was awarded his doctorate from the University of Vienna in 1912 for a thesis on Rembrandt van Rijn.
Marianne Schmidl, one of the first women ethnologists in Vienna, worked as an intern at the Vienna Museum of Folk Life and Folk Art while still a student.
Emma Pietschmann attended the six-year Lyzeum of the Vienna Frauenerwerbsverein founded in 1866. She graduated from high school at the Humanistisches Gymnasium in Prague, but not until 1914.
Liselotte Seutter von Loetzen, daughter of a bank director who died young and a potter, had considerable (professional) experience, when she became involved in the "Sonderauftrag Münzen" in October 1942.
Brüder Suschitzky – Anzengruber Verlag (Wien-Leipzig), Buchhandlung-Antiquariat-Leihbibliothek was founded in 1901 by the bookseller Philipp Suschitzky (born 14 December 1875) with his brother Wilhelm (born 22 December 1877) at Favoritenstraße 57 in Vienna's 10th district, origi
Until the annexation in March 1938, Vienna had various decentralized medical libraries set up in the first half of the nineteenth century (Second Medical School) to keep pace with the rapid development of the individual medical disciplines.
In 1365, Duke Rudolf IV already mentioned a library as publica libraria or gemaine půichkamer oder libreye in the founding document of the University of Vienna.