Rudolf Engel obtained a doctorate in philosophy from the University of Vienna in 1906. He worked as a secondary school teacher but was mainly involved in publishing and selling books and theatre items.
Alois Fantl was born on 27 April 1873 in Wittingau, Bohemia (now Třeboň, Czech Republic), as the son of Karl and Therese Fantl. In 1902 he married Bertha, née Pokorny, and they had a daughter, Margarethe.
Emil Haim was born in Jung Woschitz, Bohemia (now Mladá Vozice, Czech Republic) on 21 July 1874 as the son of Emanuel and Ernestine Haim. He started out as a bookseller in Breslau.
On completion of his education at commercial college, Johannes Katzler worked until 1924 in his parent's company in Vienna.
Hans Peter Kraus was born in Vienna on 12 October 1907 as the son of Emil and Hilda Kraus (née Rix). After graduating from the Handelsakademie in 1925, he trained as a librarian from 1925 to 1927 at Universitätsbuchhandlung R. Lechner in Vienna.
Richard Lányi was born in Vienna as a Hungarian citizen on 9 December 1884. He originally had the surname Löwy. His parents Leopold Löwy and Johanna, née Spitzer, were from Pressburg, at the time administered by Hungary.
Moritz Perles was born on 15 December 1844 in Prague and was married to Agnes, née Schiller. The couple had four children, Oskar, Ernst, Robert and Elsa Perles.
Alois Reichmann from Bohemia founded Buch- und Antiquariatshandlung Alois Reichmann in 1896 with his wife Emilie, née Löwy, at Wiedner Hauptstraße 18–20 in Vienna's 4th district.
The book and antiques business founded by Moritz Stern (1846–1913) in 1874 was located from 1892 at Mariahilfer Straße 1 in Vienna's 6th district and existed until 1938 under the name Central-Antiquariat und Buchhandlung.
Brüder Suschitzky – Anzengruber Verlag (Wien-Leipzig), Buchhandlung-Antiquariat-Leihbibliothek was founded in 1901 by the bookseller Philipp Suschitzky (born 14 December 1875) with his brother Wilhelm (born 22 December 1877) at Favoritenstraße 57 in Vienna's 10th district, origi
Leo Weiser, recte Leiser Weisser, from Galicia, opened a mail order business with bookstore at Kaiserstraße 89 in Vienna's 7th district in January 1924, with a further outlet at Tuchlauben 5 in the 1st district from September 1929.